Home page online
This web site is a work in progress and being regularly updated. Please check back frequently to view new and updated pages.
By the 13th century Shotton was spelled "Schotton." Killins farm was at this time owned by Roger de Montalt, justice of Chester and Lord of Mold and Hawarden. In 1256 Montalt added Ewloe to his lordship and Shotton was brought under the control of Ewloe Manor. It was Montalt's enclosure of Ewloe wood as a private hunting ground that angered the Welsh prince Llywelyn ap Gruffydd. This led to Llywelyn evicting Montalt and building Ewloe Castle in the next year, to keep the English out.